Friday, April 13, 2007

A plea for sanity from the yuppies



I pulled into my daughter's daycare this morning and was greeted by a fleet of bikes. Apparently, it is 'bike day' for the bigger kids and everyone had brought their wheels. It was very cheery and springlike, until I looked closer and saw the make and model of these vehicles. In my younger days, I was more active and liked to do some mountain biking. I know what type of value and price tag are associated with bike names like 'Trek' and 'Specialized'. Until today, I was not aware than you could spend that amount of money on a bike for your 3 year old. The little thing pictured here will run you $129 and this was one of the bikes in the group this morning. Am I the only one who thinks this is an extreme amount of money to spend on a starter bike that will last 1-2 years, will never go > 5 mph, and will spend 50% of it's life on it's side because CHILDREN FALL A LOT when learning to ride a bike? I can't really see the need for an extra light frame or superior handling with the bike will never make it past the block you live on. What happened to the little pink thing that you get at Target? I have a proposal for you yuppies, so listen up. If you can't bear to spend less than $120 on a bike, then why not buy 3 $40 bikes and donate the other 2 to a worthy cause? I understand that this means there are two poor children who will have a status equal to your child's in bike world, but you might actually teach your child a lesson about the value of a dollar, how to help people, better stuff does not make you a better person, and kindness. If you're worried about what the neighbors might think if your kid is on a cheap bike, buy a used one and tell everyone you're really into recycling.
TAGS:

4 comments:

Roz said...

I laughed at the last bit...buy a second hand one and tell them you are REALLY into recycling! Priceless! (Recycling is a really big thing over here in the UK as well) I know many a times, I've eaten up my kids leftovers only because I couldn't dream of throwing it away, when I know there are starving kids else where in the world. Thankfully, there is this massive recycling bid for what the government calls 'green rubbish' this includes food and garden waste...So I don't feel so bad anymore as I know it's all going to become compost which will go back to toiling the earth!

Hey Nael, thanks for your comments... After writing that post, I went out with my kids came back and did lots of fun stuff, hearing my two year old chuckle his head off was lovely soothing music to my ears...what more could I want! (more money, don't we all) I remember leaving some advice on one of your posts...Let go and Let God... I know God's got my back, I just get a little impatient with him sometimes.

Meanwhile - loving the cartoon pictures on your blog!

Trudging said...

Thanks for your post

lushgurl said...

The bike I ride is one my daughter received when she graduated from grade six...almost six years ago!! She has out-grown it, but it fits me fine! All of the grade six bikes were DONATED, too bad the yuppie friends don't know what joy it brought to the kids who may not have had bikes that year!

Roz said...

...Nael, I left this on my blog as I was replying to you and another lady who left a comment. Thot I'd copy & paste it here, just in case you don't get to see it...

Nael - I've left a message on your blog, you rock! Manther sounds like a real sweetie, she's got a fan over here. Thanks again for your encouraging words.