Monday, April 16, 2007

Now you see it, now you don't

I haven't had a period for 31 days. Now, the logical reason behind all this is pregnancy and my husband and I have been working (unsuccessfully) that direction. I took a test on Friday that was negative. I was angry and decided I'm not spending $10 to find out I'm not pregnant ever, ever again. I will just wait until I've gone 90 days without a period and my belly starts expanding and then I will assume I am pregnant and make a doctor's appointment. This morning I think my period started. I cried and cursed like crazy on the drive into work. Then, I got here and it stopped. I really am not enjoying this game.

My husband is no emotional support at all so I turned to my mother. She is annoyingly practical in all things. She said,"Would you quit worrying about another baby! That's in God's hands. What you should worry about is potty training the one you have. What would you do with two in diapers anyway?" Thanks for the love, Ma. I guess your point is that I am not only fertility challenged but also a neglectful mother and barely capable of raising the child I have brought into this world.

The motivation for this comment is that Manther is two (next week) and not potty trained and my mother thinks this absolutely disgraceful. She feels the average child should be potty trained by ~ 18 months. I have three siblings and I am quite certain NONE of us were potty trained at 2 years old, but my mother's memory gets weaker and her distaste for diapers gets stronger every year.

So, I am sitting at my desk silently raging because I don't know if I'm pregnant or not and my mother and husband refuse to listen to my ranting and raving. Thank God for the internet.
TAGS:

6 comments:

Roz said...

...yes Mums have a way of being practical like that. I guess all I can say is keep trying (and enjoy every minute of it!)... It is very upsetting when you are trying for a baby and the dreaded period comes. You may be pregnant or you may just be very stressed. If it's that you are stressed then stop putting pressure on yourself and hopefully things will happen soon enough. Whatever be the case I'm sure you'll keep us posted.

You'll be in our prayers. Thanks for the clicks on my blog :-)

Trudging said...

You know, I obviously do not know what God's will is for you but, I can tell you that I have never regretted only having one child. You are in my thoughts and prayers

someone else said...

It's hard to live up to everyone else's ideas of when you should potty train your child. Do your own thing.

Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. Come back any time.

Karen S. said...

I was very frustrated as well with potty training. When I was researching potty training a common theme seemed to be praise and positive reinforcement. I came across a website called www.pottytrainingrewards.com. We hung it in the kitchen and named the little boy on the front of the package, Bobby. My son could not wait to go to the potty so he could push the button, hear the praising message, and get his chocolate reward from, Bobby. It really got my son excited about using the potty himself and it was fun for him. Because he became so involved, potty training was easy. So give it a try. Good Luck with a new baby.

Omara said...

Your Mum sounds just like my Mum. I also know what it's like to be "am I pregnant or arent I?" You'll know soon enough. And don't worry about potty training, my son is 3 in July and he's not potty trained.

... and thanks Karen S for the site link, I'm off there now!

Melodee said...

Oh boy, I've been there . . . when I was really pregnant (after a bout of infertility, followed by adopting twins, followed by five years of not using birth control), I didn't take a test until I was 8 weeks pregnant because I had made that same vow: no more pregnancy tests EVER.

Anyway, hang in there. For the records, my twins didn't potty-train themselves until they were 3.5 years old!