Thursday, February 1, 2007

Newcomers

Last night I went to my AA meeting and there were a lot of newcomers there. I have 6 years sober and the next closest to me was 4 months. I haven't led a table since I relocated because I have been struggling to get cozy with my new AA community. There was no reasonable way to worm out of it last night so I did it. I didn't do very well. I guess I should expect to be rusty after not doing something for a long time. I waited until the tables were clearing out before I got newcomer pamphlets and started passing them for signatures and phone numbers. I was focused on trying to share my experience, strength, and hope on the first step and I forgot to talk about sponsorship, working the steps, and what to use those phone numbers for. Fortunately, the girl with 4 months cleaned up behind me. I was really glad she was there. I always think that I will never forget what it was like for me starting out in this program, but I seem to have forgotten a lot about what information a newcomer might need to stay sober until their next meeting.
TAGS:

1 comment:

Rex said...

Great post...thanks for sharing....and thanks for stopping by my blog