Thursday, January 4, 2007

Wednesday Night AA

Yes, last night was my weekly AA meeting I was excited about it. My current family circumstances only allow me one a week, although I obviously need more as I am sure readers will ascertain from the following post. I really look forward to this meeting because I get to sit still for an entire hour without nags from a supervisor, toddler, husband, or telephone. I have a brutal cold that my daughter brought home from daycare and I was a bit feverish and hoarse, but I didn't let this stop me. Frequently, I leave the meeting feeling refreshed and serene, however, I ocasionally leave feeling irritated and this happened last night. I know it's wrong and the problem is me and my compromised health rather than the folks surrounding me. BUT, I am going to use my blog to bitch because it's mine and I can.

Why do people who have been sober a few years share their clean time at every table they sit at? This is not a competition. The NEWCOMER is the most important person, not YOU with your 11, 14, 17, or 28 years sober. Certainly, it is wonderful to show newcomers that the program works, but there weren't any newcomers at our table. What happened last night certainly felt like an I'm-more-sober-than-you-a -thon and I was annoyed. The take home lesson for me is humility. I need to remain teachable no matter how many '24 hrs' it has been since my last drink.
TAGS:

2 comments:

Rex said...

Remember this too shall pass. I find that what I take from the meeting is tied to my attitude. I try to overlook those things that irritate me and find the positive part of the message. Easier said than done I know, but keep trying.

Anonymous said...

Hey..just found your blog. I often get frustrated that "old timers" don't do enough to welcome the newcomer. It's something I constantly want to be aware of and always remember how I felt when I came into the rooms for the first time.