Monday, January 29, 2007

I think I spoke too soon....

A few weeks ago, I posted something on television and toddlers and naively stated that my daughter (21 months old) was not interested in TV. I was WAY wrong. Either Manther was too young to truly appreciate TV or the weather wasn't cold enough yet, but this weekend she focused on the digital images and fell in love. We have an overindulgent neighbor who was concerned that my spoiled daughter might not have enough TV in her life, so he supplied us with 5 children's DVDs (3 Sesame Street with Elmo) and a DVD player. Manther has been completely and irretrievably hooked on the TV and now asks for it at least 5 times a day.

In her defense, there is not a whole lot to do in Michigan in January. It is too cold to play outside, so I dragged her tricycle and big wheel into the basement. She sat down on one and scooted 11 ft to the wall and then looked at me and whined. A damp basement is not really a good alternative to the great outdoors. We did find a bit of entertainment washing comforters at the laundrymat. Manther enjoyed opening and shutting the washing machine doors, pushing the carts around, and running up and down all the aisleways. After a few minutes of this, the manager started shooting me dirty looks so I had to calm her down. She migrated over to a group of kids who were also trapped at the laundrymat enjoying a Michigan winter. After a few minutes, a tween age girl came up to me and told me Manther was following her. I admitted that I had noticed this and thought it was because the girl had such cool shoes (they had wheels in the heels). This was a lie and I think the little girl knew this, but she played with Manther anyway and she didn't even ask for money. Only 8 more weeks of winter to go!
TAGS:

No comments: