Friday, May 11, 2007

He cars and she cars

Manther is a tomboy and really enjoys vehicles. 'Car' was a word she learned early on and shortly after that she started referring to my sedan as 'mama car' and her father's van as 'dada car'. When we went for walks, she would point out other sedans and say 'mama car' or 'dada car' when large square vehicles drove by. I acknowledged what she was saying by repeating, "Yes, that does look like mama's car." or "Yes, a van just like dada's." Slowly, her language skills are improved and she pointed out trucks and motorcycles. Despite her improved vocabulary, she continues to call smaller sedans and compacts 'mama car' and larger vans and minivans 'dada car'. A she talked more and more about these cars and vans, I began to realize the 'mama' and 'dada' indicate that she has assigned them a gender and I have reinforced this by agreeing with her for the past 6 months. Apparently, all smaller, low-to-ground vehicles are feminine and taller square vehicles are masculine. Trucks and motorcycles are outlyers right now. I don't really know how to correct this situation, or if I need to. I think the vehicles in 'Cars' had a gender. Weren't some of those feminine? So, I guess I'll let her go on thinking there are 'he' cars and 'she' cars. I think men have been assigning a gender to their vehicles for decades and it doesn't appear to have screwed them up. Or has it?
TAGS:

6 comments:

Special K ~Toni said...

'Screwed them up?' thought they already came that way....

Luke(4) does the same thing- except with trucks, because daddy drives a truck. All trucks are boys- everything else is a mom-mobile!

I love for you to add me to your blogroll- when I get around to mine in the next couple of days- I will add you on also!

Have a fabulous Mother's Day!

Judith said...

Oh, good lord, I don't even know how to address this one. I just have a 12-year-old boy. I'm not the most girlie-girl. My younger sister is WAY girlie and has two daughters. I still can't make much heads or tails of any of the gender stuff and I'm on my second marriage (but only dated 3 guys total.)

Sorry. Completely useless. I'd give better advice on how to handle Cookie and Elmo. I love your new banner!

It'd be great to be on your blogroll. You're on mine. :)

Unknown said...

Love the new look!

Happy Mothers Day MaMa Car ;)

lushgurl said...

Hey Nael, lovin' the new look too! My favouritest car in the whole wide world is a Classic Mustang rag top, I wonder what that would be in Manther? LOL Today my mustang with the top down is a bicycle I inherited from Angel when she outgrew it!!!
Happiest Happy Mother's Day to you!

Anonymous said...

We always judged by what side the gas tank was on, giggle.

Trudging said...

Hmmmmmmmm, life used to be simpler.