Wednesday, May 9, 2007

The Baby Shower

My sister's baby shower was this weekend and I think everyone had a nice time. I come from a long line of loud, gregarious, talk-with-your-hands, say-what's-on-your-mind women and most of them showed up for the shower. The family of the father-to-be walked in, said 'hello', and politely took their seats. They chatted pleasantly and snacked until game time when they listened and played along. My family walked in and spent an inordinately long time greeting each other with big hugs and kisses. They walked around and snacked and conversed loudly with hand gestures until we SUGGESTED they sit so we could start the games. They rearranged chairs so no one could tell whose door prize belonged to who and had animated conversations the entire time we were conducting games. No one won anything because I don't think anyone was actually participating in the games. Finally, we surrendered to the chaos and handed everyone a prize and told my sister to start opening gifts. I am making fun of my family, but I am proud to be one of them. They are a group of sympathetic, smart, strong individuals and I think these are all admirable characteristics. I'll continue to enjoy their antics, even if family gatherings feel a like being trapped in a room with 20 agitated cockatoos.
TAGS:

5 comments:

Queen of the Mayhem said...

Your family sounds a lot like mine! Even though it is chaos for us too, I also wouldn't want it any other way.

You can't escape from where you came.....and personally, I don't want to! :)

Anonymous said...

Baby showers make me shutter, I mean shutter but a room of cockatoos sounds perty fun.

Trudging said...

Your family sounds like my sister-in-law's family. The rest of us are very low key wasps. We mostly hide in the basment.

Omara said...

It sounds like you all had a great time!

Special K ~Toni said...

Sounds like a fun group to me!