Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Jump!

This post is not about the Van Halen song (aren't you relieved?). It's about muppets, again. I have a deadline at work and I am working pretty darn hard right now. I came home and was exhausted yesterday and Manther's irritability suggested she was exhausted, too. Even though I knew it was a mistake, we took a nap from 6-8pm. The natural consequence of this was that Manther wasn't tired at bedtime or for a few of the hours after that. At 11:45pm I gave up and stuck her and her babies, Elmo, Cookie, and Ernie, in the bed between Hubby and I. I rolled over intending to go to sleep. Manther played nicely for a few minutes. She covered the muppets and gave them bottles and patted them on the back to put them to sleep. Then, she decided everyone should jump. She would toss a random muppet into the air and yell, "Jump Elmo" or Cookie or Ernie. I thought the quickest way to end this game might be to let her tire of it, so I tried to ignore it and doze off. But, anxiety builds in you while you are laying there wondering if you will be bombed with a stuffed animal and that anxiety makes it extremely difficult to sleep. Hubby opened one eye and asked, "Is she throwing Elmo at us?" I said, "No, the muppets are jumping on the bed." I don't know if it was genius or an effort an humor, but Hubby's response to this was amazing. He sat up and gave all the muppets a firm reprimand and told them to go to sleep. Manther was delighted that the muppets were being acknowledged as members of the family. She lined them up at the head of the bed and started wagging her finger at them and talking to them in her stern tone. I guess it wore her out because the next thing I remember is morning and Manther asleep on a pile of her Sesame Street friends.
TAGS:

8 comments:

gail said...

He so gets brownie points from me too. My husband wouldn't have been so clever!

Anonymous said...

That is great! Very clever indeed. And so right, because my daughter is tickled each time I say hello to her baby or talk to her. Smart man.

Glad you got some sleep!

Judith said...

Awww.

Just a warning, though. My son's 12 and Cookie Monster is still considered his "brother." ;)

Tabitha.Montgomery said...

omg..this post is priceless :)
Oh and for your info..I STILL love those damn Muppets :) lol

Lisa said...

Awwww. THat's really sweet. What a cute story.

My son is almost 5 and still sleeps with a cookie monster.

Angie said...

That's one smart daddy! Great job!

Tabitha.Montgomery said...

Gelato is Italian ice cream..look for it this Summer :P

lushgurl said...

That is just what the doc ordered for me today- a laugh, and warm fuzzies (not of the muppet variety)! Hey, Oscar was always my favorite, and Eeyore too...gee, I wonder what that says about me...LOL