Friday, July 13, 2007

The keepsake

Thanks everyone for tolerating my anecdote on poor parenting decisions. I wasted my and my daughter's evening and bought the motorcycle and she has sat on it once. She is not interested in it and I hope this has been a good lesson for Hubby as he watches $110 sit in the garage. I will never again purchase a toy anywhere but a reasonably priced garage sale.
As I've mentioned a few (100) times, my dear sweet Sis has moved to St. Louis for her husband's job (Lisa asked where she lives and I honestly don't know, some suburb, I'll find out more). She is 9 months pregnant and lost her job and is going to be a SAHM for a while. Since they lost an income and will gain a baby, they downsized their house and tried to get rid of as much stuff as possible. Well, Sis tried to get rid of as much stuff as possible. As she bumps around the house and unpacks a few boxes waiting for the baby come, she is finding that her husband did not work very hard at getting rid of stuff. Her MIL does crafts and unloads a lot of craft stuff on Sis. She hates the crafts and I can't say I blame her as they aren't usually very attractive. However, her husband saves all the special things his mother makes as keepsakes. Yesterday she called me and was demanding her husband's head on a stick. Apparently, she happened upon more than a couple boxes of bad crafts and icky keepsakes in the basement. She found what appeared to be a big, dead rodent in a bag in one of the boxes and was more than a little bit startled. She gathered courage and pulled the bag out of the box for further inspection. It was hair. Human hair. A lot of human hair. Some mothers save a lock of their child's hair as a keepsake. It appears that Sis's MIL saved a thick wad of the stuff in a Ziploc baggy. I had to laugh... and admire Sis for further inspection of the creepy thing when I would have shut the box and run upstairs.
TAGS:

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am dying over the fact that the motocycle is just sitting there unloved. But, that is just typical. I spent 30 bucks on the "educational" leappad toy and my daughter had more fun with the box. It still sits there collecting dust, though she loves the attached pen (but plays with it on a piece of paper, not the toy).

Your poor sis, I would have had a heart attack!

Special K ~Toni said...

Be patient, Manther may arm up to the motorcycle.

I remember you posting a picture of one of these crafts, ewwww! Your poor sister!

Anonymous said...

Eh, you are entitled to one overprices gift that sits in the corner a year, I have decided...

the hair comment made me literally gag. Eww.

Trudging said...

I bought my kid a $35 Bob the Builder educational toy for his third birthday. The adults at this party played with it and that is about it.

Angie said...

I bet my daughter wouldn't have sat on the bike either (when she was that age). Dad's just get crazy sometimes.

Ewwww, a bag full of hair. Poor woman!

Mama Dukes said...

thats one brave sister you've got

Tabitha.Montgomery said...

have a great weekend Nael..if you have some time online come check out my weekend post :)

Redhead Gal said...

Oh if I could have all the money that was spent on un- or under-used toys that my kids had (they have a lot of aunts and uncles and doting grandparents. My husband and I are actually pretty cheap.)

Tabitha.Montgomery said...

hey nael..where you been ??
I have tagged you to see if I can get you back online with us.
come see my blog :)

Unknown said...

I feel for your sis. My SIL loves to buy little stuffed animal thingys for me at Christmas time. I collect Santas. But unusual and special, not just becuase they are there. I can't break her heart but all the stuffed Santa stuff from the dollar store every year is starting to become a bit much.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

G~

Judith said...

I'm not sure if you've been tagged with this already or not, but I'm hoping to get you back posting again, so... TAG!!!

This meme is "EIGHT THINGS YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT ME (AND DIDN'T ASK)". I just did it and sweat over it because I am so boring. I still squeezed out 8 trivia. Hope you'll come out and play.

Peace,
Judith

Tabitha.Montgomery said...

WHERE YOU GO ?

Lisa said...

Hair? Ick. And yes, your little one may warm up to the new motorcycle. If you have a kid over and that one expresses an interest in the toy, odds are the little ones will be fighting over it.

Hey, that's how my son started playing with crap (toys) he'd never play with previously. They don't see the value in the toy until they see someone else wants it. heehee

Mama Dukes said...

how are you?
Been stopping in to visit but not finding you lately
hope all is well

gail said...

Dude, where are you?

Doc's Girl said...

My dear, where did you go??? I hope everything is okay!

Roz said...

Hi Nael,

How are you all...?

lifeinsuburbia said...

Where ARe you !!???

Anonymous said...

Hope everything is okay; I always enjoyed reading your blog!
--a concerned Mom

Roz said...

NAEL, PLEASE COME BACK....

Anonymous said...

Just stopping in one last time to see if you have returned--hope all is well, and wishing you the best for 2008.